Sunday, July 12, 2015

In the Moment

Yesterday I did something I haven't done in 27 years.  It was spontaneous, fun, exciting and triggered memories of my younger summers camp days.


Yesterday my daughter and I went to the Jamaica Plain (an actively artistic/creative Boston neighborhood) Porchfest.  I had never heard of a Porchfest until I stumbled upon it on a Calendar of Events taking place in Boston for Free.  I am adding a link to the details, as I think this was a fascinating event, even though it is past and there won't be another one until next year.  You can read about it HERE
Jamaica Plain is one of those areas that you visit once or twice a year and ask yourself why you don't go back more often.  It is a quaint little village of Boston with boutique shops mixed with Goodwill and Thrift Shops, upscale restaurants next door to pizza spots and coffee houses.  I guess the word to describe this one street is Eclectic.  There is something for everyone.
I think this is the first time going to Jamaica Plain for reasons other than eating and browsing the shops.  We were there to actually wander the neighborhood from house to house, walking up and down the side street.  The first thing we noticed, every house had a front porch.  A feature of a house I grew up with but do not have in my adult life. (By the way this is one of my triggered memories, but not the one from above).  Realization number 1:  You cannot have a Porchfest without a porch.....of course the houses have porches!  Scattered among the houses were 67 venues participating in Porchfest.  People set up entertainment on their front porches for viewers to stop by and enjoy.  There was music, poetry readings, dance and storytelling.  There is an Art School that hosted a Circus display on their side lawn that showed acrobats and clowns who do Street Performance.  Everywhere you walked you could hear music in the background and you wandered over to where the sounds were coming from.  There were maps available if you were looking for a specific venue.
The Porchfest was fun and I cannot wait until it happens again next year, but that was not all we did yesterday.  Jamaica Plain is more than just a city village.  Jamaica Plain is at the end of the "Emerald Necklace".  (Click on the link to learn more about this 9-Park Area)
The Emerald Necklace spans from the Charles River to the Franklin Park Zoo. I have probably been to several parts of the necklace without ever realizing it.  When the kids were little, we took them to the zoo.  I have been to the Arnold Arboretum and I have been down in the Back Bay and Fenway areas.  Until yesterday I had no idea this was all part of this chain of parks.  The only part I was aware of was the area surrounding Jamaica Pond.  While in Jamaica Plain yesterday, my daughter and I decided to meander our way to the pond.  Here is where my throwback memory began.  At the entrance to the pond area is a boat rental place.  Next thing I knew we were fitted for life jackets and off we went to the dock to row around the pond area.




Yes, it has been 27 years since my last time in a rowboat.  This was a great experience.  I rowed us out to the middle of the pond for this beautiful photo shoot!  We had a great time just drifting on the water.  Being on the water is always so peaceful and calm.  If it weren't for the fact we were renting the rowboat by the hour, I could have stayed on the pond all day.  The weather was perfect.  I used to spend hours while working at a day camp and overnight camp during my teen summers out on the lake in a rowboat.  Twenty seven years ago, while staying at a Bed and Breakfast in Killington VT, I took my husband out on a rowboat for an afternoon.  He had never been on one and did not know how to swim.  He was a little hesitant but he let me row him out on the water and we had a very enjoyable afternoon.  It was one of the first vacations/getaways we had since our honeymoon.

I often feel my creativity is inspired by my life experiences.  I love to get out and explore all the world has to offer.  I wish I had not time/life restraints of having to work, If only my life could be spent experiencing all the world has to offer.  If only.......
So instead I choose to make the most of all my experiences, both the exciting and special moments as well as the mundane daily happenings.  Every experience is worth documenting for one reason or another.  My life is a work in progress and so is my creativity.  So today I will share with you a couple of my newest Works In Progress:

Knitting WIPS

Socks knit on circular needle using Magic Loop technique:

Stat:
Pattern:  Pin Striped Socks
Designer:  Julia Swart
Yarn:  Plymouth Neon Now

I am almost finished with the first sock now and hoping to cast on the second one today.


I fell in love with this Shawl Pattern the moment I saw it released on Ravelry.

Stat:
Pattern:  La Playa
Designer:  Sara Gresbach
Yarn:  Fiddleknits Enticing in 3 different colorways

This was supposed to be a two color shawl but I chose to use three.  The picture is a poor quality but the body is striping purple and teal.  I will be adding gray stripes as well.  I am loving this pattern and it is a great knit night project as I am in the garter section now.

On the PostCrossing homefront it has been a very exciting week.  I received my first 2 postcards.  One was from Germany the other New Zealand.  I am really enjoying meeting people from all over the world even if it is only based on a two minute read from the back of the postcard!.

I am also still tangling.  Here are a couple of finished Zentangle from this week.  I am still really enjoying this form of art and look forward to creating more and more works of doodle art.  I am amazed at the different effects one can add using shading to make the designs pop off the page.


I am still playing around with using letters of the alphabet as my strings.  It almost gives purpose to my artwork.  Can you tell the letters I used this week.  I'm still missing a letter of the alphabet so I have to go back and do that one again.






Today I leave you with a new Quote of the Week:

“Don’t ask what the world needs, ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” ~Howard Thurman

3 comments:

  1. Let me start with your ending, what a wonderful quote and how true it is! I now live in a very rural area but not to far from some bigger cities, your post reminds me that we need to get out more and explore instead of sitting home and complaining about how we miss civilization. It sounds like you had a very nice time, and it was even more special being with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me start with your ending, what a wonderful quote and how true it is! I now live in a very rural area but not to far from some bigger cities, your post reminds me that we need to get out more and explore instead of sitting home and complaining about how we miss civilization. It sounds like you had a very nice time, and it was even more special being with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a cool idea - porchfest! I had a house with a porch once - it was so cool. I love rowing - but haven't for a long time - hmmmm...maybe this summer.

    ReplyDelete