Sunday, August 23, 2015

A Week Of Reviews

This week was jam packed, well mostly this weekend, but still....I have been doing and going so much that I would like to offer some reviews of videos, restaurants, places that pulled this post together.

The Big Reveal
Yes it is finally done and ready to show.  My first homemade Fauxdori Planner.  


With the help of three different YouTube videos along came my first Planner.  I say first because I am sure that there will be plenty more.  This one is not "Perfect" and will someday be replaced, now that I know where I made my mistakes.  I am still very happy with how this has turned out.  I want to thank the following for putting out YouTube videos on how to accomplish the results that turned out. 

The Cover:  Watch the following Video by Sea Lemon:  How to Make a Travelers Notebook
What a wonderful tutorial.  I love her Traveler's Notebook and wanted one just like it.  Her directions are very clear and easy to follow.  Above is the Traveler Notebook Planner I made following her directions.  I used different material so mine is not quite as sturdy.  The cover of mine is Ultra Suede instead of vinyl.  The corners are curling as I pull it in and out of my purse and it swims around in there all day but I think I am going to love the "Used" look as time goes on.  I also decided to make mine with multiple bands so I used another tutorial for that.  I love the inserts I made as well, but I think going forward I will be following a tutorial to make a dashboard and just keep changing out the pages.  Right now though, this is set up for September and I love it.  I'm sure I will be tweeking things as I go.

The Inserts:  Watch the following Video by Inspired Blush:  Easy DIY Midori Inserts on Word
This took me the longest to wrap my brain around.  I did not find this tutorial until I wasted almost an entire package of printer paper.  I just could not get the pages the right size or in the right order.  I think I spent an entire weekend just trying to go at it alone when WOW....Sunday night perusing YouTube I came across this wonderful tutorial and the pages just came together, and now they are saved on my computer for future inserts.  So I am currently using the following inserts that I created based on this tutorial.
MY MONTHLY PLANNER INSERT
*Month on 2 Pages
*Week on 2 Pages
*To Do List
*Weekly menu plan
*Extra pages in back with grid and lined notes

MY JOURNAL INSERT
*This is just multiple pages of lined paper.  I printed these on Purple for the fun of it.

MY ZENTANGLE PAD
*I created this on beige paper for when I am out and want to create zentangles in some spare time.

The last thing I have in my planner is actually a folder with Stationary that I found at B&N.  I have started to PenPal with some friends on Ravelry and I love the fact that I can keep stationary with me if I have time to write a letter while I'm out and about.  Since the stationary is inside a folder I just slipped the folder over a band and I have stationary on the go.

I have already designed my October insert, same as September.  I also have ready to print a Reading Log and a Beer/Wine tasting insert.  In the works, meaning the idea is in my head I just haven't put it to computer yet, is a travel insert to write down restaurants, museums, places of interest that I visit and want to remember and a supply insert to track markers, knitting needles, paint colors, yarns, and other craft supplies.  I might make a totally different book like a Field size notebook that will just track these things.

The Bands:  I cannot find the video on how to add multiple elastic bands.  I have no idea which one I used but the process was not hard and I have mine set up with 4 inside bands to hold 4 individual inserts or there are plenty of tutorials on how to combine inserts on one band.  There are just so many tutorials for creating a Fauxdori to fit your style.

Are you a planner?  What kind of set up are you using and what are your favorite planner pages.  I am always looking for more ideas for inserts.
My Adventures
This week was once again a whirlwind of fun.  My daughter and I took one last roadtrip before she takes off for Mexico for the semester.  In keeping with the literary theme of our summer this week took us out to Western Massachusetts for a trip to the Eric Carle museum and Emily Dickinson Museum.  We also passed the Yiddish Book Center so we just had to stop in.  Yes, all of this in one day.
THE ERIC CARLE MUSEUM
If you are a teacher or you enjoy children's books then this is a must see place to visit.  I have always enjoyed Eric Carle's stories and his artwork is spectacular that the museum was equally as inspiring and interesting.  I learned about Eric Carle's life as an artist and his journey to authoring his books as well.  It is no surprise that his books appeal to me as they remind me of the collage work that goes into Art Journaling that is another interst of mine.  The gallery is an ever changing exhibit so I look forward to going back should there be more exhibits I want to explore.  The exhibits on display when I was there can be found on the website Eric Carle Museum  The exhibit took me back to my childhood as the illustrator Fred Marcellino illustrated a version of my favorite childhood poem by Edward Lear, The Owl and the Pussycat.  I used to know that poem by heart.  I had a children's book of it as a kid and read it over and over again.  There are many other books he illustrated but that was the one that struck a chord with me.  I really want to find a copy of the old book I had but I have not had much luck finding a used copy.
THE EMILY DICKINSON MUSEUM
Boston offers a free Fun Friday program every summer that my daughter and I have been taking full advantage of.  This week the Emily Dickinson Museum was free to the public, so we stopped there as well.  I like her poems and wanted to learn more about her and her life.  Unfortunately, the museum left us under impressed.  I think most likely because of the set up.  We like to walk around and read stuff on the walls or plaques.  The set up of this museum is to walk into the rooms where someone was standing ready to talk to you and answer your questions.  We did not go in with any questions.  It just would have been nice to be able to read about things as we walked through.  I would not discourage anyone from going it just wasn't our style.  We were glad it was free.
Lunch in Amherst Massachusetts was a hit though.  When we travel on these little day trips one of our pacts is no eating at a chain restaurant or fast food place whenever possible.  Well, Amherst is a little college town and we found the cutest Asian Fusion Tea House.  If ever in Amherst you need to try it out.  We tried 2 of the little two piece tea sandwiches and a pot of tea.  It was the perfect lunch for the two of us and after walking in the rain to get there the tea hit the spot.    The restaurant was warm and welcoming, the staff very friendly and we really enjoyed our visit.

Instead of a quote this week I will leave you with the words by Edward Lear
The Owl and the Pussycat
I hope you enjoy this poem as much as I do.  
Maybe it will bring about some childhood memories to some of you as well.

The Owl and the Pussy-Cat

I
The Owl and the Pussy-cat went to sea
   In a beautiful pea-green boat,
They took some honey, and plenty of money,
   Wrapped up in a five-pound note.
The Owl looked up to the stars above,
   And sang to a small guitar,
"O lovely Pussy! O Pussy, my love,
    What a beautiful Pussy you are,
         You are,
         You are!
What a beautiful Pussy you are!"

II
Pussy said to the Owl, "You elegant fowl!
   How charmingly sweet you sing!
O let us be married! too long we have tarried:
   But what shall we do for a ring?"
They sailed away, for a year and a day,
   To the land where the Bong-Tree grows
And there in a wood a Piggy-wig stood
   With a ring at the end of his nose,
             His nose,
             His nose,
   With a ring at the end of his nose.

III
"Dear Pig, are you willing to sell for one shilling
   Your ring?" Said the Piggy, "I will."
So they took it away, and were married next day
   By the Turkey who lives on the hill.
They dined on mince, and slices of quince,
   Which they ate with a runcible spoon;   
And hand in hand, on the edge of the sand,
   They danced by the light of the moon,
             The moon,
             The moon,
They danced by the light of the moon.






2 comments: