Sunday, August 2, 2015

To Fail is to Win....

.....its when you don't try that you fail.

Once again, my days of completing challenges, KAL (Knit Alongs), and all other things that restraint my creativity have come to an end.  This is nothing new.  Every so often I over extend myself and then nothing seems fun and relaxing anymore.  I am okay with this.  It will last for a few weeks or a month or so until the next fun sounding thing comes along.  I will jump on the next bandwagon and see how far it takes me.

I will open this week with my quote from William Shakespeare, King Lear:
“Striving to better, oft we mar what's well.” 

My enjoyment of challenges are that they push me to learn more, do more, create more or just try more.  Sometimes it is just okay to enjoy the current state of being.  Maybe my head, or body are not ready for more at the moment.  When that happens I do see my projects get put aside as being stressful.  Either I know I will miss a deadline or they are not working as planned and instead of fixing or pushing I just abandon the thought of competition and just enjoy what I am doing just for doing it sake.

I don't need a challenge to be creative, what I need is to live....live a life that is full and inspiring.  It is so easy to fall into daily routine and allow life to happen around you.  It takes time, planning and a bit of spontaneity to be alive, really take part in the life you want to lead.  Here are some of the ways I chose to live my life this week.  With theater, some shopping and culture.  It was a fun filled week and this is what I aim for.

 This week was the Commonwealth Shakespeare Company performance of King Lear as part of the yearly Shakespeare in the Park program.  This is a free Shakespeare performance offered each year on the Boston Commons.  This year marked the 20th Anniversary of the program.  It's only the second year that I went.  The Shakespeare troupe does an excellent job and it is always enjoyable.  This year, due to weather, I only saw half the show.  I'm thinking of going back during the week this week to see the whole thing, but I know I probably won't.
The first City Target opens on the East Coast!  I have a love for Target as which many of you do, but mine is for other reasons.  Both of my children work for Target.  My son is a Dept Mgr at our local Target and my daughter a Starbuck's  Barista also at our local Target.  When the new Target opened in Boston we had to take a trip out there.  It's the friendliest Target I've seen.  You are greeting with HI BOSTON as you ride up the escalator into the store.  It just made me smile!  Just a small little detail like that brightened my day!  As fun as it was, really it's just another Target store.  If you live in the area it is worth checking out.
My trip to the new Target was part of an All Day Boston event.  Besides the new Target,  there is a new Marketplace in town.  The Boston Public Market at Haymarket opened this weekend.  It was crowded, busy with long lines, but fun and I'm glad we went.  There were vendors for everything.  They had fresh fruits and vegetables, cheeses, meats, eggs, homemade cider donuts, fudge, pasta, honey, vinegars, marshmallows and an ice cream stand to name a few, all in one place.  Since it is indoors it will have the ability to stay open year round.  I am interested to see how it changes with the seasons.  We had some ice cream when we were there and bought home some fudge with us.  They had a fudge flavor I had never tried....ROOTBEER!  It was really good.  The fresh fruits and vegetables looked great but due to the fact we were in Boston for the remainder of the day -into dinner, we opted to not get anything fresh this trip.  It will remain open every week Wed - Sunday.  I guess I'll have to go back specifically to shop for food.  

It's not summer in Boston without a Saint's Feast in the North End.  Last night was no exception.  Yummy Italian food and pastries.  What a fun street fair they put on.  They sell food, souvenirs and carnival games.
 Last night there was a lady from The Mad Tatter doing Henna tattoos.  My daughter and I each got one.  It's like a Zentangle on your body.  She got one on her hand and me on my upper arm/ shoulder.  They were very pretty but I guess we did not leave them on long enough, mine is barely visible.
Oh well.  It was a fun experience!

I challenge you to get out of your routine and find something this summer that will bring you fun and inspiration.  See a play, go to a city, find a fair or a carnival.  Do something that will bring a smile to your face and joy to your heart!

3 comments:

  1. Lisa, your posts are very inspiring, I'm hoping for some cooler weather here so we can venture out to some of the fabulous gardens around Raleigh, and this fall my daughter and I are hoping to be able to take the train to Washington DC to stay for a long weekend and enjoy the museums. All in All I'd love to just take a day or two each month just to explore the cities near us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allison, nothing is more fun than being a tourist in you own home town. I love my trips into Boston.

      Delete
  2. I have always wanted a henna tattoo.....maybe I will find someone to do one on me before the summer is out.

    ReplyDelete